Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

When I am On My Knees

I can't seem to journal or write. My blog is growing dry. My prayers feel like they're stopping at the ceiling. Everything is wearing out and feeling old. There are people I really do want to care for, but I don't know how to love them well. Bitterness is sitting inside my stomach. Tiredness is swelling under my eyes. Nothing seems to be getting done. What do I do?


Have you ever felt like this?


In the dry times of our lives, it is most certainly difficult to know how to honor God. When the Bible seems like a dry land rather than the satisfaction of thirst, it becomes more difficult to read. When praying becomes religious (ritualistic), it becomes a duty - not a delight. How do we keep ourselves from falling away from the faith?


A few nights ago, my Mom took me out to Kohl's and bought me some dress clothes. Now I don't know what it is with me, but for some reason I love getting clothes. I love dress shirts. I love ties. There are few greater feelings (for me) than putting on something professional-looking and going out into the world - chest out, shoulders dropped, head high - being someone. It makes me feel like a businessman, like I'm important.


This is just one example, and there are many more. But my point is that the clothes I brought home on Sunday aren't helping me here on Tuesday. The Dr. Pepper I drank yesterday is in a sewer somewhere. Even the discipline - yes, discipline - of getting into bed last night seemed to be a worthless exercise as I tossed and turned, cringed and wrestled on my bed, pounding my pillow a couple times.


This is a fallen world. Life seems pointless at times. Direction is easily lost, and purpose oft times seems null. When I succumb to these hardships, I find that I lose joy far too easily. But I find that some of the greatest joy I have ever felt has come when I've been on my knees. When I fight against my own resistance of the word and just sit down and draw from what God says, I find rest. There is peace. There is comfort.


And in a world of sorrow, brokenness, hardship, oppression, guilt, evil, resistance, sin, and curse, we can take heart - because Jesus has overcome the world.

1 comment:

  1. I have felt that way several times. I have several Christian books that I have read through this past year that have inspired me to be more active. But prayer is always huge. And when your focus is on others and their needs, your life seems a lot less dull.
    And I really like your last note: Jesus has overcome the world. :) Indeed He has.

    ReplyDelete