Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Friday, April 13, 2012

The Gospel I Have Underestimated

After an incredible three-day conference, Together for the Gospel, in Louisville, it is an understatement to say that I have been utterly impacted by the underestimated gospel. Although I was heavily anticipating the opportunity to hear wise men speak of things that even angels long to look into, the experience was magnified when compared to my expectations. I could write for hours (or at least many minutes) on the experiences therein, but that is much too long for a blog. Maybe I'll write a book about it.


From start to finish, the event was gospel-focused, gospel-centered, and gospel-exalting. We heard the gospel, talked amongst each other of the gospel, sang the gospel, and experienced the gospel. By God's grace, I was encouraged especially by the messages that stimulated me to find hope in difficult times. Ligon Duncan, C.J. Mahaney, John Piper, and Matt Chandler all spoke things that I clung to. For most of the conference, I felt like it was simply my being there that was keeping me alive (spiritually). It seemed to me that when I would finally return to Evansville, all of those wonderful things I heard would vanish no matter how much "effort" I put into keeping them fresh in my mind and that I would go back to being the same depressed, lukewarm person I sinner I've been - unchanged, unloving, ungrateful, unmerciful.


This all would change the last night (Thursday). In the final session, I broke into tears thinking in my heart Lord, why me? Why would you want to save ME? These prayers came as the ~9000 voices in the Yum! Center were singing: "Because a sinless Savior died / My sinful soul is counted free / For God, the Just, is satisfied / To look on Him and pardon me." (Such a grace cannot be repaid with any amount of gratitude). And later:

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless Babe
This gift of Love and Righteousness -
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live


Wow. What powerful words! I am amazed - truly amazed. How I have underestimated this gospel of God's grace. How I have neglected standing firm in this faith. How I forget to pray by the Holy Spirit and wait for God's mercy. This is the greatest gift ever given, the greatest plan ever carried out, the greatest treasure ever found, the greatest hope ever fulfilled, the greatest story ever come true. Indeed, it is "of first importance." It is the power of mercy.


And all I can say is,


Why 
ME?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is something I have thought of many times. Why Me? It's just how deep the Father's love is and how awesome He is. What privileged people we are to serve this mighty God.

    What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? - Psalm 8:4

    Blessings,
    Leah Nicolette

    ReplyDelete