Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Monday, April 23, 2012

The Best Thing

As I finished Matt Chandler's The Explicit Gospel in the wee hours of this morning, I believe I finally saw what I am to do. Although nothing seems to make sense right now and I am easily distressed - as is evident by former posts - I have been seeing the gospel in the wrong way. Don't get me wrong. I will always be seeing the gospel in one wrong way or another. But for now, part of my vision has been blurred and changed.


I've chosen not to quote the final chapter of the book because that would take quite a while. But the gist of what Matt said - in the context of moralism and therapeutic deism - was something to the effect of, "A moralist falters a bit in his Christian walk then gives up because he thinks that he has let God down." He compared that to a father being angry at his baby child who took his first three steps then fell. Any father who would be disappointed in his child's fall, rather than rejoicing in his steps, would be arrogant.


And so it is with God (according to Chandler).


My life has been about being good, doing this, and doing that. I know it in my head, but my heart doesn't get it: God's message is "done!" not "do." Christ has crucified my old self with Him, and it is no longer I who live. Never could I earn a bit of God's favor or love. It is all free. It is grace.


So the best thing for me to do right now is to find rest and joy - yes, joy - in the gospel. I need strive no more, nor toil any longer, nor labor in vain. For Jesus paid it all.

2 comments: