Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Spending Some Time With Ordinary Teenagers

          I say "ordinary" because it was very easy to preconceive incorrect notions about them. I had the unique opportunity today of visiting a children's home in Carmi, IL with Melissa and some of the youth and members at Oakhill Baptist Church. Some of the teenagers, who were living at this campus in Carmi away from their families, had been sent to the place by court rulings; others were there for various reasons, and some may have been orphans or foster kids. It was a blessing to be there; I was grateful for the opportunity to go. I did, however, have struggles throughout the day. Sometimes it was hard just knowing what to say or how to make conversation - with the teenagers at the children's campus and with the teenagers of OHBC. I was reminded again of how weak and fake my love is - or feels. My sin was prevalent at different parts of the day; my mind wasn't set completely on Christ. But He worked through my weaknesses, and I was still glad for the opportunity. Getting out of my own little world is a wonderful thing, and that is why I chose to go on the trip. Although I didn't feel as though I was able to connect very strongly with any of the teens, it was ministry. Ministry comes in various ways, shapes, and forms. Sometimes it means just hanging out and letting people know that you care. Doing that today was my ministry. I pray that, though my pride is great and my love is small, God will use me for His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment