Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Confessions on Trying to Love


When it all comes down to it,
Well, I have a confession to make.
You see, when I’m around you
And you see my love for you - it’s all fake.
I’ve tried to love in purity,
But effort and love are different.
Love is based on what Jesus did;
My efforts just make me distant.
Trying to love by will
Is like putting ornaments on a fake Christmas tree
And saying, “Hey look! It bore fruit!”
All that rubbish is vanity.
And just between you and me -
I think I have more lust than love.
And do you want to know my motive in hanging out with you?
Myself is the only thing I can think of.
I’m sorry. I just had to tell you the truth,
And I thought this would be the best way.
I’ve been trying to think about genuinely loving you - even while writing this -
But in the back of my head I can only hear Lecrae.
And there he’s praying for himself;
I figure I’ll do the same for me.
I’ll pray that God will change
And work His will in open heart surgery.
Yeah, now you’ve heard where I really am.
See, I made a resolution to “cut the crap.”
Well, I guess this is it
In this little poem or rap.
Will you pray that I will love
With the same selfless love Christ spoke and showed on the cross:
“Forgive them,” to those who hung Him.
I suppose that’s the cost.
Now for love - for God -
I offer all the passion I have.
Take and use it for Your glory;
God, please help me love.

No comments:

Post a Comment