Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I'm a Liar - That's the Truth

Scene 1 (in church):
Be a good example, don't blow it, maintain that smile.

Scene 2 (with a parent):
Smile, give a good firm handshake, nod often, use gestures, thank them for all those sweet comments, act like a truly humble person, portray a good church person.

Scene 3 (in general):
Say a lot of things about your weaknesses to intensify your good reputation, smile, be kind, make rainbows.

Scene 4 (with God):
Confess everything, make it sound bad, take the grace.

Scene 5 (with myself):
[You don't have to].


We're all actors. We all play the part. Right when fellowship with God and sweet communion is maximally enjoyable, our hidden pride ruins everything. So we try to cover it up. We go soft. We fake. We act.

Put on that good face. Make that great-looking girl (or, for you ladies, guy) impressed. Make sure everyone younger than you idolizes you and everyone older than you is put to shame by how darn good you are. Come across as good. Try to be good. Be good. Act.

Act.

I know myself too well, but not well enough to beat myself. I hate my sin, but not enough to slit its throat. I "love," but I don't go so far as to get my hands dirty. Make me look good. I'll walk away with the smiles, praise, and fans - you take all the dirt.

Acting is perhaps the greatest struggle of the Christian's life. Brothers and sisters, let us seek together to give it up. Together we can stop sugarcoating our sin and putting cherries on top of our failures. We no longer have to strive; we have a greater grace. Let us as such.




James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Ephesians 4:25
Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak the truth each one of you with his neighbor, for we are members of one another.

Galatians 2:19
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

1 John 3:18
Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment