Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crippler of the Church

Let me begin this post by being honest: I often find myself greatly skeptical of the teachings of people in the far right in the Church. Sure, I'm conservative - many believers would say too conservative. But I think the notions and methodology of many conservative Christians are dangerous because many Christians refuse to think.

When I was a young believer, I went against my local church's teaching that Christ died only for the elect. Based on what I saw in the Bible, I was convinced that His death was a universal covering. It turned out that I made a terrible mistake, and eventually I saw that; I was utterly wrong for many reasons. But this was also a foundation for me in that I wasn't going to accept everything my instructors would tell me. I must examine it myself to see if it's true.

I know and deeply love a great many people who sit in church and, for no good reason, accept everything that is said. I'm constantly surrounded by men and women who deny a universal atonement but would have absolutely no response to a person who would interject with a 1 John 2:2 or a Hebrews 2:9. I am well familiar with those who deny atheism but could not carry a conversation with a well-versed atheist who claims that Jesus promised His triumphant coming would take place before His death. There are masses who say they know, but they have no response to Gnosticism. There are many who say, "Jesus is my Lord" and cannot refute the teachings of Islam. A multiplicity claims Scripture's truth and uniformity to itself, but most of them are unwilling and unable to defend it.

Why do such atrocities happen? Our world, and perhaps our nation, of believers is too uneducated to help it and too lazy to do something about it. They don't know, but they won't learn.

Of all things, this is tragedy. We are the America with the broadest access to the greatest sermons, debates, arguments, and apologetics in all of history. We can learn about virtually anything that has ever happened in the history of the world. Therefore the failure to do so is perhaps the greatest of all treason to education. And it is ultimately a great treason to Christian faith.

I remember once meeting a man with a small form but a huge mind. His name was Andrew. I met him in 2009, the summer before he went to Purdue University to study food science. Andrew wasn't anyone special. He just loved God and wanted to find out as much about Him as he could. Had you asked me at that time, undoubtedly I would have given full assurance that he would become a pastor. But I too was caught up into the notion that pastors study the Word and history and important things like that while the rest of us go to school and invest in our careers.

But if all we do in learning is go to school, study textbooks, and invest in careers, we have missed the entire point of education. All education exists for the glory of God, so it only makes sense that much, if not the bulk - and ultimately all - of our education should be aimed at God Himself. But again, we're too lazy.

I appreciate the diligence of many atheists more than that of many believers. Atheists are blind guides who deny the truth, but many of them try to defend what they believe, and they go to great lengths to do it. I am impressed to see a believer do the same with the hope of God's Word.

If atheists have a lie and try to defend it, how much more should believers defend the pearl of the Gospel? Perhaps a good illustration would be children working hard and successfully playing a good basketball game while the coast guard sits on the beach and has a picnic while watching enemy planes fly overhead.

Tragedy.

The question immediately following what one believes is why he believes it. This is only logical. Yet some lop off the second part.

This is somewhat of a new beginning for me. I'm tired of ignoring questions I have about the Bible. So now I ask them. And I seek out the answer. I don't want to take any tradition or practice done in my life personally or in my circles for granted. The Thessalonians did things like that; I want to be a Berean.

And if you are a believer, you should want to be a Berean too.



1 Peter 3:15
Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

No comments:

Post a Comment