Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

In Seasons

3/20/12


Though my mind is now betwixt
Knowing not the rhymes or reasons
My life by God has been fixed
Not in days but in seasons
And this one is one to tarry
This one grey while others merry
Now is not the former days
This countenance abides below
Dying hopes of times of yore
Now is not as former stays
As I recall bliss I did know
And I am left wanting more

It seemed one time as a recession
(Typical of such at first)
And quickly plunged into depression
Degrading life from worse to worst
As I fell into a pit
Searching for escape from it -
The very thing for which I prayed
A year ago, yet partly knowing
A wave would carry me away
And little then the sea delayed
Thus I yearned that God be showing
Grace and faithfulness each day

I sought that such distress be lifted
By the mercy of the hand
That approved my life be sifted
As if helpless grains of sand
That first day I’d not forget
And the time I would regret
Petitioning with little aim
A grand scope I was yearning for
Impossibilities to plead
Blind to that which later came
Ravaging and leaving sore
This spirit that began to bleed

Yet with ev’ry rising sun
Of spring mire of the feeling
I’m reminded of the One
Who holds all hope and help and healing
Past my countenance my eyes
Lift to see that hope arise
Knowing not as He does
With all wisdom from above
Knowing not His times and reasons
But resting that he is and was
My only Life, my only Love
In days and weeks and months and seasons

No comments:

Post a Comment