Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Amazing Grace - for the past, for the present, and for the future

It seems, for the time being, that I am at a milestone on this trail we call life. "Through many dangers, toils, and snares," I am realizing that life itself gives little comfort. Life is dark. (Doesn't every writer come to experience this?) But thankfully God's truth doesn't stop at "snares." No, rather it sounds something like this:
Through many dangers toils and snares
I have already come
His grace has brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home
Yes, it will. Not only has His grace saved me, which gives me every reason in the world to rejoice for all of eternity, but also He is going to take me to a place of unending joy:
Yea, when this heart and flesh shall fail
And mortal life shall cease
I shall possess within the veil
A life of joy and peace
I am looking forward to that day. And sadly I have to admit that right now I am mainly looking forward to it because my fears and hurts will all be removed. Yes, that is something worth looking forward to, but how much greater is the One who will remove those afflictions, Jesus Christ. How far greater would it be to experience even this life with its troubles with Him than traverse this journey in merrymaking without Him. He, not healing, is the Treasure. When I get to heaven, I want to let Him know that. At first glance - if there is any possible way - I want to run to Him and jump in His arms in love. And finally I want to fall at His feet and kiss them. How I am looking forward to meeting my Treasure! But until then, His unseen fellowship and sufficiency will be my munificent supply:
The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures 
 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite hymns, Jon! Going through a good time in life right now, I have amazing expectations for the future with Jesus, but then a friend brought up, "what if He comes tomorrow and you don't get to live your life - never get to marry, never get to further schooling, etc - are you OK with that?" I realized that even though life on earth is good with God, hey, who wants to stay here when one can be with Him in heaven?!" Brought things into perspective again. And yes, life really stinks sometimes, but "He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures."
    Sincerely in Christ,
    Michaela <><

    ReplyDelete