Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I have what I want, but it's not a job

          The gap between my last post and this one is a reflection of the busyness of my life the past few weeks, especially this week. Yesterday has gone down in The Journal of Jon as the busiest day of the semester so far. Unfortunately that included sleeping through an important appointment I had set up with a pastor - ouch! However, I was able to amend - in a practical sense - for that mistake. On a brighter note, yesterday was the start of my new job! Yes, finally I have been hired. And not by just any company. I've been hired by CEF to replace Debbie as the office assistant here in Evansville. I couldn't be more excited.
          Going without a job is a very important thing, and it is my firm conviction that every believer should experience the process at one point or another. Granted, I'm speaking as a 17-year-old who has only had one job at a fast food place. But still there was that stress and uncertainty there: Will they get back to me? Did they approve of my application? Do they have a position? Am I too young? If I get turned down, will I be able to keep paying for gas? Should I ask my parents for help? This is where God's promises changed my life. Earlier in the week, I had the opportunity of reading Matthew 11:28-30:
   Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
How wonderful that rest is! And that's not to mention the assurance of Luke 12:6-7:
Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Also there is the declaration of Paul in 1 Timothy 6:8: "If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." How content Paul was! This is further demonstrated in Philippians 4:
 10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
I never went hungry. I never suffered need. I have never suffered as Jesus or Paul or any of the apostles or martyrs did. But even if I had, God's grace would still be sufficient to cover me! His power is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). Enough said. I am satisfied in the provision, care, kindness, and grace of God.
          This isn't where I was originally planning to go with this post, but it is well: this is a lesson that has been encompassing every area of my life. "The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not be in want" (Psalm 23:1). Yes, God provides. And not only does He provide, He has freely given me all things in giving me Himself (Psalm 37:4) and His own Son:
 28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? 33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 Just as it is written,
   “FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG;
WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.”
 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8).

No comments:

Post a Comment