Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

O God, I am Trash

I'm beginning again to ponder some of the same questions that used to push me harder after Christ than any other. The gist of it is this: do I love God enough to give up every possession I own, all of my friends and family, my good-standing in the world, my comfort, and even my own life? Some of the people who have known me for more than three or four years remember my life as a young believer, and quite honestly I'm ashamed of where I am today compared to what my passion for Christ was half a decade ago.

It's an interesting thing that before Jesus prayed, "Give us this day our daily bread," He first said, "Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come; Your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" (Matt. 6:9-13). We read into the Bible what we want out of it. Everyone knows 1 John 1:9, but who knows verses like Ephesians 4:22-24? We all love a good Psalm 23, but no one can stomach Psalm 69 (we treat chapters of the Bible like beer we like or dislike). Why is Ezekiel 3:16-21 is new information to us?

[I know I'm not supposed to answer rhetorical questions, but I need a wake-up: it's because I never read Ezekiel].

So many times in my life I have come to this very same point - that of seeing the poor and feeling for them, seeing the Church and longing to serve them, and seeing Christ and desiring Him - and I have determined, I'm ready to give up how I'm living now to follow Christ with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. I will give up everything. Apparently I keep forgetting.

America, the best thing you could have said this morning is, "O God, my life is a wreck. I'm like trash. Save me." And you could use your $16 trillion to help impoverished nations that are less than 1000 miles off your coast. But you won't do that. Will you? You're too caught up in plasma TVs, hybrids, the next iSomething, black Friday, hosting the family for the holidays (the holidays, not Christmas), and the latest fashion. You're too worried about politics, possessions, and particulars to help the poor.

O God, my life is a wreck. I'm like trash. But I'd rather die than live without You. Save me.

"O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water" (Ps. 63:1).

Hear this blood-stained-sealed-and-verified quote from Jim Elliot, a missionary to South America who died trying to reach people with the gospel. And let it pierce you as it pierced me: 
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

No comments:

Post a Comment