Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Thursday, January 17, 2013

On Gun Control

Newspaper editor: "What's Wrong With the World."
G.K. Chesterton: "Dear sir, regarding your article 'What's Wrong With the World?' - I am."


I will be honest; I will be blunt.

Something I have held to since last November or so is this view of politicians: Democrats are people who think they can fix everything by raising taxes; Republicans are people who think they can fix everything by lowering taxes. While this is not the case for every partisan person, I think it hits close to the human heart.

And it is the human heart I would like to zoom in on in pertinence to the gun control debate. I have shot guns only a few times. I don't carry, but I know many people who do. Honestly, I don't think changing laws about gun control will do anything. Yes, background checks should be conducted. But there is one simple reason that controlling guns fails to control crime:

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

No matter how much the government tries to regulate guns or reduce crime, it will never get to the heart of the issue until it addresses our sin issue. We are fallen creatures bent toward sin. After the Newtown shooting, I had a conversation in which a friend of mine wisely pointed out that the first person born, Cain, was a murderer. It is no surprise, then, what happened. It's God's restraint and mercy that keeps tragedies as such from happening more.

It is true that government exists for the people. Measures should be taken to protect us. But let none of us think for a moment that loosening, tightening, or doing nothing to gun control will improve our situation. Guns are not the problem. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment