Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Friday, January 4, 2013

Forget the Past - Reach for the Future

My Vision for 2013


Philippians 3:12-16
Not that I have obtained it yet or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which I was also laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you;
however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.


Lose weight. Pray more. Read the whole Bible. Get involved. Disciple someone. Share the gospel more. Love God. More, more more. Do this and do that.

At the end of every year, we learn all over again how fickle we creatures are. We see how we've failed. Although we cannot remember what 2012's resolutions were, we make some for 2013 - just to make sure we all do better this year.

I'm not sure there is one resolution I have ever made or have ever heard that did not center on one thing: self-discipline. In fact, by definition a resolution must be dependent on discipline: "I resolve to do this. It is my goal to get it done. I will work toward it and keep myself poised to accomplish it."

So how do we achieve this self-discipline? Perhaps it is best to answer this question before we make any more resolutions because if we unlock this answer we unlock the answer to every resolution hereafter. I think Paul has given us a great statement on priority, discipline, and goals here in Philippians. Let's take advice from God:

1. Realize I am not there yet.
I haven't become perfect - not yet. It's evident I'm failing at X, Y, or Z (in this case, attaining to Jesus' resurrection from the dead). This requires action:

2. Press on.
If it's so important to you, don't give up - ever. This pursuit of obtaining the very resurrection of Christ must be pursued relentlessly. Don't let your failure get you down. Let it push you to do something about it.

3. Keep my purpose in mind.
Why am I pressing on? What is the point of this resolution? Is it truly worth it? If not, give it up. If so, keep pressing.

4. Forget my past.
I have already come to the realization that I'm not there yet. I know I've failed. Sometimes I feel overwhelmingly guilty about it. But no believer has to hold on to his guilt. If there is sin, confess it. And press on. Give up your doubts, discouragements, sins, and fears. Leave them behind. Forget them.

But how do we do this?

5. Reach for the future.
Don't just look forward. Reach. If you want to get somewhere, simply staring at a map will do you no good. You have to follow the trail. Look to the example of Christ and see how the Father and the Holy Spirit preserved Him and kept Him perfect. Think about Heaven. Look to it. And move.

6. Go back to #2.
And repeat. Keep pressing on, never forget your purpose, forget your past, and reach for the future.

This is the definition of perseverance.

My goal in 2013 is not to read a bunch of books, learn to play instruments better, read through the whole Bible, pray for an hour a day, or disciple five people. Yes, those are goals, but it all comes down to this: let go of the shame and guilt of my past, press on toward those gospel-centered goals, keep Christ at the forefront, and take the journey to Heaven step by step.

This isn't a let-go-and-let-God.
It's a let go and move on in God's power.

This is the power of God's word. The LORD graciously provides us with what we need to know to really succeed in the Christian life. By His grace, I will store these memorized verses in my heart with many more this year.

And by His grace I will press on.

1 comment:

  1. The best "new year's resolution" post that I've ever read. Thanks Jon, this is excellent.

    ReplyDelete