Christian Hedonism

"God is most glorified in us
when we are most satisfied in Him."
~John Piper

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To Be Like Jesus

In an early post this year, I discussed the significance of Philippians 3:12-16. It's the passage my life is centered on in 2013. Instead of resolutions, I chose God's grand goal for my life; through Philippians 3, we understand what it is and how we get there. We see that Jesus is better than anything else, and these words ring true:

Knowing You, Jesus,
Knowing You -
There is no greater thing.
You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, my righteousness,
And I love You, Lord.

~Graham Kendrick, "Knowing You"

We also see that God's goal for us is that we become like Christ. Today I'm reminded of this old hymn:

Oh to be like Thee,
Oh to be like Thee,
Precious Redeemer, pure as Thou art!
Come in Thy sweetness!
Come in Thy fullness!
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

~Thomas O. Chisholm, "Oh! to Be Like Thee"

This is the goal. And there are many steps in getting there. But rather than re-fleshing them all out, you can listen to the audio of the sermon I preached at my church last Sunday night. Or you can look at Philippians and find out for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. I like to listen to sermons while I clean the house and thought I'd check yours out...it was amazing and I could hear how God has been working through you and inside of you. It was very encouraging to hear and made me understand that passage in Philippians much more. It was perfect timing too because I've been thinking about a lot of what you preached on. God bless you as you continue in His ministry.
    ~Maryah

    ReplyDelete